Just as I started levelling my Rogue, I stumbled upon an article on Blizzard Watch that asked how best to power level an alt.
Now I had no plan to power level her, but there was an intriguing strategy outlined that involved using the 300% XP boost granted by an Elixir of the Rapid Mind in combination with having all Gorgrond bonus objectives one step short of complete. Having found two Elixir’s as part of Winter’s Veil, I decided may as well give it a go. The article comments1 also tipped to polish off an Excess Potion of Accelerated Learning for an additional 20% boost - making it 320% total.
Gorgrond is particularly great for this plan as it has nine bonus quests and they’re all relatively close to each other. And the whole endeavour is only possible if you can fly in Draenor, so this only really works for your alts. I was already level 93 heading to Gorgrond thanks to treasure hunting in Frostfire, and in the process of getting all the bonuses to tipping point I levelled to 94. One tip is that some bonus areas only unlock after opening your Gorgrond Outpost, so get that done first. The Elixir lasts 15 minutes, so you need to make the most of it.
I decided to also prep the three Frostfire bonus areas, in case I had time to spare. This turned out to be a bit of a waste, as there are only three bonuses, they are spread out, and because they are lower level it wasn’t worth as much XP. If you have the level or skill, maybe try the Talador bonus quests instead.
With everything ready, I checked the most efficient flight route, rehearsed the finishing move for each objective, took a few deep breaths, and went for it. When I started I was level 94. 11 minutes later I was 97! It was great. Approx 300k XP per bonus area, and the levels flew by. Very entertaining, the only frustration was finishing everything with four minutes to spare and nowhere to spend the XP. A small price to pay. In summary, if you want to try this:
- Acquire an Elixir from the AH & Potion from your Garrison Quarter Master;
- Get your Outpost built in Gorgrond to unlock all nine possible bonus objectives;
- Complete all but one item for each bonus - I’d suggest leaving the easiest possible thing waiting (normally a ‘click once to do something’ chore instead of a kill);
- If you get over level 94 doing this, go and grab some bonus objectives in Talador (instead of Frostfire/SMV).
- Drink down your potions and fly like the wind!
Good luck and good levelling.
- Amazingly the comments at Blizzard Watch appear to mostly be safe to read. Good job BW moderators! [return]